Re: Net8/Server woes...

From: EXE <exe_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:37:29 -0700

> We're using NT as the server platform. Win98 (not 95) as the clients. A
> few Q's:
>
> 1) Personal Oracle 8.0.3 and Designer2000 8.0.4 are not compatible on
> the same machine.

First off there is no such thing as Designer/2000 8.0.4. The version number will be 1.3 to 2.1. Second there is no reason why a properly sized Oracle 8.x database will not be compatible with Designer/2000. And the emphasis here is properly sized.

On the other hand give the cost of Oracle's Workgroup Server, just a few hundred dollars, I can not imagine why you are trying to install a $6,000 tool and are trying to save a few bucks with Personal Oracle. It makes little sense.

> 2) Since we can't get P.O. to run locally, we are trying to get the 98
> machine to "connect" to the NT server (Oracle Enterprise). We are
> totally confused. Should we use Net8? I just want to get to the NT
> machine and have full control over that dbms on it.

You MUST use Net8.

> 4) Should or *can* we just use ODBC for all our client-server needs?

You should not. As I reported in DBMS magazine last year it is totally insecure. And even if it wasn't it is slow and the antithesis of robust.

> 5) When we start Design/2000, it immediately gripes about no connection
> and fails. What connection? ODBC? Net8? HELP!

Net8, perhaps. ODBC would be useless as Designer/2000 doesn't use ODBC to connect to the repository. Speaking of which did you install the repository?

Regards,

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Sep 14 1998 - 23:37:29 CDT