Re: PL/SQL:Efficiency of inline SQL vs use of Dynamic SQL Package

From: David Schweisguth <davids_at_tracy.pangeasystems.com>
Date: 14 Sep 1998 14:44:02 GMT

ross_mcadam_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
: I am writing an application in PL/SQL which involves many SQL insert
: statements where I require a count of the number of records for each insert.

:

: My query is whether 1. It is more efficient to perform SQL inline and use
: select count(*) to return the number of rows;, or, 2. Use the dynamic SQL
: package which also returns the number of rows inserted.

Do the SQL inline, then query SQL%ROWCOUNT. See "SQL Cursor" in the PL/SQL manual.

--

Dave Schweisguth                              Work: davids_at_pangeasystems.com
Pangea Systems                                Home: dschweisguth_at_earthlink.net