How to get back useful error messages?

From: Roy Smith <roy_at_popmail.med.nyu.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:19:48 -0400

I've got a table with a variety of constraints. I'm building a data-entry app, and want to be able to pass back to the user useful diagnostics about why an operation failed. The problem is, Oracle doesn't give particularly useful error messages. For example, if I deliberately cause an error:

SQL> insert into person (alias) values ('roy.smith'); insert into person (alias) values ('roy.smith') *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01400: mandatory (NOT NULL) column is missing or NULL during insert

How do I know which of the several NOT NULL columns caused the problem?

--
Roy Smith <roy_at_popmail.med.nyu.edu>
New York University School of Medicine Received on Mon Sep 14 1998 - 14:19:48 CDT