Re: OracleStartORCL & OracleServiceORCL in NT

From: Joe Brown <NoSpamMeVeryMuch_at_leading.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 01:47:11 GMT

suisum_at_freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () wrote:
> Can anyone tell me the purpose of the OracleStartORCL and
> OracleServiceORCL in NT.

OracleStartORCL runs %oracle_home%\DATABASE\STRTORCLCMD which contains an oradim80 command.

IMO it would be wise to start the database via this command instead of typing out an oradim command. w/o specifying the parameter file, you could be asking for trouble. Take a look at your strtorcl.cmd...

Since they switched to this tactic, database startup has become more reliable... WGS 7.1.3.3.3 was a mess on NT...

I wish they'd come up with a cleaner startup. It seems they insist on maintaining Unix similarity at the cost of NT resources. What else is new...

As best I've determined OracleStartORCL "service" is chewing up about 400kb of memory because NT think's its busy doing something. After executing the cmd file, I think it just sits there wasting resources.

Stopping OracleStartORCL free up the memory wasted.

--
joebrown
@leading.net Received on Mon Sep 14 1998 - 20:47:11 CDT