Re: extract data from a LONG RAW field

From: Bola Ogunlana <bolao_at_incads.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:51:46 +0100

Does the following help:

   Oracle Product Document Library (C) Oracle Corporation   Manual: ORACLE 7.3 SERVER CODES Reference: A14538-16

 ORA-00932 inconsistent datatypes

  Cause: Either

           o An attempt was made to perform an
             operation on incompatible datatypes. For
             example, adding a character field to a date
             field (dates may only be added to numeric
             fields) or concatenating a character field
             with a long field.

           o An attempt was made to perform an
             operation on a database object (such as a
             table or view) that is not intended for normal
             use. For example, system tables cannot be
             modified by a user. Note that on rare
             occasions this error occurs because a
             misspelled object name matched a restricted
             object's name.

           o An attempt was made to use an
             undocumented view.

  Action: If the cause is

           o different datatypes, then use consistent
             datatypes. For example, convert the character
             field to a numeric field with the TO_NUMBER
             function before adding it to the date field.
             Functions may not be used with long fields.

           o an object not intended for normal use,
             then do not access the restricted object.