Re: Simple question: remove a a datafile from a tablespace

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: 12 Sep 1998 05:59:54 GMT

streak_at_iag.net wrote in article <6tcnjd$80r$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> As Winnie noted the "offline drop" will allow one to open the database if
the
> database is missing a datafile. One other note... the "offline drop" only
> prevents Oracle from checking for the existence of the datafile and doing
> it's usual verification of the file. The tablespace that uses the
datafile
> will still reference this datafile. If Oracle extends an objects it very
well
> may attempt to allocate an extent in the datafile that has been dropped.
In
> addition, running SQL that references extents in the datafile will also
> result in I/O errors. The "offline drop" does not drop a datafile from a
> tablespace. Only a DROP TABLESPACE will remove datafiles from the
database.

Ah, this makes it sound more dangerous than I originally thought - I assumed that Oracle would not try and use the database for extents if it knew that it was in need of recovery...

Andy Received on Sat Sep 12 1998 - 00:59:54 CDT