Re: Oracle backups

From: Frank Lagorio <lagorios_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 21:26:03 -0700

gresmi_at_aent.com wrote in message <6t462k$ge2$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>We are researching a backup strategy for an Oracle 8 database that is
roughly
>20 gig and expected to grow dynamically. We are in the music distribution
>business (cd's) and will probably need 24x7 availability at least 6 days a
>week, with Sundays off or low volume. Our hardware configuration is HP 9000
>running HP-UX, version 10.10. We have Omniback II available in-house and
have
>downloaded the freeware RMAN from Oracle. Oracle is running in archivelog
>mode. We are very interested in the possibility of doing hot backups daily
>during the week and a full cold backup on the weekend.
>
>Assumptions we've made based on information gathered are:
>1. Omniback is a dependable product.

As good as any.
>2. Cold backups using Omniback are very dependable.
You are simply copying closed oracle data files from one location to another.
>3. Daily hot backups using Omniback are dependable when database running in
>archivelog mode and mirroring the archivelog filesystem.
Hot backups mean you offline a datafile and copy it, then online it and offline the next datafile and copy it until all datafiles are copied. Archived log files capture the input during this process. Mirroring the archivelog filesystem insures against a disk crash during this process.
>4. Hot backups should be made disk-to-disk and then backed up from tape.

I prefer this as it limits the exposure time. to disk is quicker than to tape. Additionally, I also copy the backup to a second set of disks to insure a shorter mean time to recover the data. It's faster to recover from disk than tape.

>Questions:
>1. Are these assumptions correct?

See above comments.
>2. How long does a hot backup take to run?
How long does a copy take on your system. Your mileage may vary but mine was tested under ideal conditions with professional drivers.
>3. Do we need to do any additional in-house development such as pre/post
>scripts?

Look at Oracle Press Backup and Recovery for an ideal script.
>4. Does Oracle's RMAN fit into this scenario? Where does RMAN fit in?
If you are using the alter tablespace begin backup type script, it doesn't.
>5. Are there better solutions/strategies available?
Rman has problems.