Re: Oracle8 - Solaris2.6 - core dump

From: <hr784_at_cleveland.freenet.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:29:10 GMT

The major patch fix for Solaris 2.6 at my site is the fix to intimate shared memory. You should set the use_ism=FALSE in your init.ora file until you install the latest patch cluster for 2.6.

This helped with some memory leaks in Oracle8 but did not totally resolve how Oracle8 doesn't release shared memory or swap that it uses outside of the defined shared pool size for a specific instance when the Solaris 2.6 fsflush is executed.

The major fix to 8.0.4.2.1 is when a file system gets full the Oracle8 instance hangs and waits for your Unix Admin to free some disk space or add disk space to a file system. With 8.0.4.0 your Oracle8 instance DIES!

These were specific issues for my system and you can get a list of patch fixes at www.sunsolve1.sun.com for solaris 2.6 or ftp to Oracles ftp site (get through Oracle support) and move your way to the Solaris 8.0.4.2.1 patch set area and you can download the list of fixes for Oracle8.

David Knollhoff
Innovata-LLC