Re: Advice Please

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: 1998/09/10

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:16:29 -0500, Jack <Nobody_at_home.com> wrote:

You shouldn't crosspost this much. This is a general discussion question about Oracle, so should be in cdo.misc.

>I am considering taking some Oracle classes, and want to know if they will
>enable me to get my foot in the door somewhere.
>
>The classes I am considering are:
> Intro to Oracle, SQL, and PL/SQL
> Oracle DBA
> Oracle Performance Tuning
> Oracle Backup and Recovery
>
>I ask this because about a year ago, I tried to make a career change. I took
>some classes and got my MCSE, thinking I'd find a job easily. I have run
>into a brick wall ever since. Everyone wants 1-2 years of experience, yet
>nobody wants to give you any.

You need to go in the side door! The same applies to Oracle, although some people do manage to get hired as a Jr. Programmer. All I've seen lately of entry level/no experience is C and derivatives, although I am by no means all-seeing. What I do see is, people want skills relevant to their business, and don't really see Oracle as relevant (often, even when it is running their mission critical apps!). So, for example, if you want to be an MIS person for W company, that makes widgets, you need to convince them you have some skill or knowledge about widgets. Once there, you'll see they don't know how to hire someone with Oracle and MSCE skills, 'cause all they care about is widgets (or selling widgets, or buying widgets, or managing order takers for widgets, or...).

>Will I encounter the same situation after I finish these classes, or are
>Oracle skills in such demand that I will be able to find that elusive "first
>job" that will allow me to build on what I've learned and get me started?

My first computer job (18 years ago), I was hired as a Jr. Programmer, because my friends dad was CEO. About half the jobs since then have been someone I know from a previous job, and the other half are headhunters who know someone who needs a specific, experienced skill. It ain't what you know... (at least at the beginning).

Also, the 1-2 years experience thing is basically for human resources people to rule out newbies, without needing the skill to be able to differentiate between those who can and those who can't. Therefore, you need to meet people and network to bypass being ruled out. Think about who you know... someone they know knows someone who knows someone who knows the President (it's "six degrees" away on the average, at least that's what I learned as an undergrad).

@home is a real domain, btw. I have an email there too, but am sure glad I didn't take "nobody!"

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or
Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com