Strange error using AUTOTRACE in SQL*Plus

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 10 Sep 1998 22:16:50 -0400

Hi Folks. I'm trying to get the AUTOTRACE feature to work properly in Oracle 8.0.4 Server is on NT. Clients are using SQL*Net 8 on Windows 95.

I followed the directions for creating the PLUSTRACE role while logged in as the SYS user. The file is PLUSTRCE.SQL I then created a user as follows:

SQL> create user xyz identified by xyz

     default tablespace user_data
     temporary tablespace temporary_data
     quota 2M on user_data ;

User created.

SQL> grant connect to xyz ;
Grant succeeded.

SQL> grant create session to xyz ;
Grant succeeded.

SQL> grant plustrace to xyz ;
Grant succeeded.

Then, after logging as as user xyz, I created the PLAN_TABLE as given in UTLXPLAN.SQL.

Here is a sample session:

SQL> set autotrace on
SQL> select * from foo ;
Error ORA-11075008 while gathering statistics Error generating AUTOTRACE report

     COL1 COL2
--------- ---------

        1         2
        1         2
        1         2

Error generating AUTOTRACE report

Execution Plan

   0 SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE    1 0 TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'FOO' Error generating AUTOTRACE STATISTICS report

Check out the bizzaro error code.
What's even worse is that each time user xyz logs in and tries this set of steps, the error code is different.

Any user with DBA priviges can run AUTOTRACE just fine. So I think it might be some type of permissions problem with the PLUSTRACE role ?

Any suggestions ?

Rich H.
Rutgers U. Received on Thu Sep 10 1998 - 21:16:50 CDT