Re: Online backups on NT? How?

From: Dave Klinger <dklinger_at_bechtel.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:16:08 GMT

To perform an on-line backup you must set a tablespace into "backup mode" by issuing "Alter tablespace <tablespacename> begin backup;". Then do your OS backup of the data files for that tablespace. Then activate the tablespace by issuing "Alter tablespace <tablespacename> end backup;". You have to do this for each tablespace. There is third party backup software that automates this procedure. One is ArcServe. It has an add-in agent for Oracle that will do the on-line backup commands for you, rather than you having to write some script to do it.

Dave