Re: Allowing only numeric input to a form on OWAS 3.0

From: <bonanos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 06:14:14 GMT

Hi Scott

> I'm creating an application on Oracle Web Application Server 3.0, and I am
> using forms to accept input. ALL of my forms should accept only numeric
> input, but there is no way to explicitly code this in a form tag. So, if I
> enter a non-numeric character, I get an error back from OWAS.

There are a few things you can do:

You can write some Java Script to check the values on the client side in the browser.The problem with this IMO is that not all browsers support Java Script and the java script takes a bit of time to pump out. Not a bad solution if you a running an intranet, where you can choose the browser.

The second option is to accept all user input into varchar2s and then convert the numeric fields to numbers, and to do any checking in your stored proc.