Re: Problem with utl_file

From: Ivan Bajon <ib_at_ed.dk>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 14:34:33 +0200

First of all - thanks to all of you for helping me out. I got the script running by adding utl_file_dir = [path] to the database init file. This enables me to output data to a file on the server. The problem is, however, that what I really wanna do is write the file in a dir on the client machine from which the procedure is called. The documentation states:

"The PL/SQL file I/O feature is available for both client and server side PL/SQL. The client implementation is subject to normal operating system file permission checking, and so does not need any additional security constraints."

What does it take to output to a file on the client using utl_file?

Jpmakar wrote in message
<1998090902430900.WAA06090_at_ladder01.news.aol.com>...
>You can't just open any file via the UTL_FILE package. The directory path
has
>to be defined in the init.ora file. You can find whether you currently
have it
>set by looking in sys.v$parameters (UTL_FILE_DIR). You have to declare the
>path in your PL/SQL EXACTLY the way it is in the parm (i.e. It is case
>sensitive). Also make sure the read/write permissions in the o/s allow the
ID