Eroding Oracle Performance

From: Jpmakar <jpmakar_at_aol.com>
Date: 9 Sep 1998 02:56:23 GMT

I am experiencing a strange problem in one of my 8.04 instances. Gradually, over the course of a day, performance goes in the tank. I mean we have a benchmark query (select count(*) from foo) that runs in less than a second at 8:00AM and runs in 10 seconds by noon, and by 4:00PM is up to 20 seconds. Same number of rows, only slightly more user sessions. It doesn't seem to be database buffers, as I get anywhere from 93% to 97% hit rates on blocks in buffers. But when we go in and look at the performance monitor in NT, the CPU is very nearly 100% utilization, this at times when we have restricted user sessions and look to be doing no disk I/O. All of this goes away if we shutdown the instance and bring it back up. One other clue. The last time I shutdown the instance, I did a shutdown immediate. After 30 minues with no response I had to go in and kill the service in NT via service manager. Received on Tue Sep 08 1998 - 21:56:23 CDT