Re: Server Snmp Agent on HP-UX 10.20

From: Werner De Gruyter <wgruyter_at_be.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 22:09:01 GMT

> Can anyone help me ! I am tring to configure the SNMP Intelligent agent
>on a HP-UX 10.20 server running Oracle 7.3.2.3. I can not get the agent
>to talk to enterprise manager. I am tring to monitor and set thresholds
>on the database. I do not have the documentation.

Common misunderstanding. For the EM console, you don't need SNMP. Basic communication between EM and the IAgent goes through SQL*Net. Version 7.3.2 however, has a very poor agent. You won't get far with this version of the agent...
If you can get of another version of the Agent, (7.3.3/7.3.4 or even 8.0.4) use this version.
After installation, verify that the SQL*Net files on the server are OK, and that your ORATAB file is OK.
Then start the agent by typing the following command:

$ lsnrctl dbsnmp_start

Verify in the $OH/network/agent directory, to see if a file called 'services.ora' is created and that it does indeed contain all the 'services' known on the HP machine.
Once this is in order, you're all set to go, and you can do a service discovery from the EM console.

Rgrds,

wdg_at_village.uunet.be Received on Tue Sep 08 1998 - 17:09:01 CDT