Re: Cooked files vs raw devices

From: <bracher_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 16:18:33 GMT

In article <6t085g$atk_at_as041.tel.hr>,
  "Mario" <msimic_at_alf.tel.hr> wrote:

> Jay wrote in message <35F2CF70.EAD810F9_at_enteract.com>...
> >What are the advantages of using raw devices over cooked files for
> >Oracle databases ?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Jay.
> >

> The main advantage is performance gain of up to 50% in write intensive
> environment.

actually, relative performance depends a _lot_ on the filesystem that the cooked file is sitting on. in days of lore, raw was a no-brainer, but better performance in newer filesystems narrows the gap somewhat. my specific experience is cooked files in an irix xfs partition versus raw, not much of a performance differential, if any...