View problem - cannot update with a Join

From: Mark Tortolano <mark_tortolano_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 12:09:49 GMT

Hi,

I have a view in my database that used to represent the fields in a single table of user preferences. Now, however, I want to split that user preferences table into two parts, so that the core preferences
(eg user email, name) are in one table, and their other preferences
(numerous, less important fields) are held in another table. There
will be a one-to-one relationship between these tables.

I created the two tables using existing data from the one table, and made sure that the other preferences table references the main preferences table. I now realise, however, that Oracle will not let me make a view updateable when the view is created using a join, even if - it seems - the relationship between the tables is one-to-one.

Is there an easy way around this, or do I have to go right through my application turning each UPDATE, INSERT, or DELETE into two separate SQL statements. This will be a real pain!

Thanks,

Mark Tortolano Received on Mon Sep 07 1998 - 07:09:49 CDT