Re: PL/SQL: How to access tables globally.

From: Bob Withers <bwit_at_pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 08:20:10 -0500

In article <6stlvq$pcu$1_at_pascal.a2000.nl>, avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl says...
> >If you define the table in the package spec it will be accessible to
> >everyone who has access to the package. If you define it globally in the
> >package body it will only be accessible to the package members. In
> >either case it will be persistent.
>
> Just to be sure, and like Thomas wrote in his reply: they are *session*
> persistent. So when declared in the package specification, other packages
> indeed can see the data when being called from the very same session.
> However, even if declared in the package specification, two different
> sessions will have their own data in the PL/SQL table.

You're absolutely correct. Sorry, I should have been more explicit. In addition, they are only persistent within a session as long as the package state is not reset. This could occur by having code within the session execute DBMS_SESSION.RESET_PACKAGE or having the package owner recompile the package spec while there are sessions using it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,
Bob

--

Bob Withers                            Do or do not, there is no try
bwit_at_pobox.com                                               Yoda