Re: Urgent: Case sensitive data in PL/SQL

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 6 Sep 1998 00:57:52 GMT

>Just a thought,
>How about setting an update/insert trigger on the related table(s) so that
>the
>data is actually converted to upper case before entering the DB.
>vjoshi2_at_aol.com

What I do is actually do both in many tables... let the user see it the way it was entered, but store an UPPER version of it also in the DB so I can have a unique key on it.

One other thing, If you are using Forms, you can set the "case insensitive" flag to true, or you can write a pre-query trigger to modify the entered value/db column to the uppercase version:

if :displayed_version is not null then
   :upper_version := upper(:displayed_version);
   :displayed_version := null;

end if;

Of course, return both versions, and only display the mixed case version.

Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Sat Sep 05 1998 - 19:57:52 CDT