Need Help with Utl_File

From: Gene Hubert <110530.717_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 14:44:08 -0400

I'm trying to create a file on my 8.0.3 Oracle NT 4.0 server from PL/SQL code. I've got utl_file_dir set in init.ora. I'm opening a file, writing a new line, then closing the file apparently without errors but no file is created.
A simple working example would be greatly appreciated. How do you control whether the file is opened on the server or the client?
Thanks,
Gene Hubert
Qualex Photo
Durham, NC