Re: Temporary Segments on Default Tablespace

From: Oracleguru <oracleguru_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 14:23:45 GMT

Hi

When you create indexes or have sorts under any user, these are all temporarily processed under user SYS under SYS's default tablespace, therefore you have to make SYS's default tablespave to be TMP1. It creates temporary segments with names like 10.6, which is file_id.block_id. Once SYS completes its processing then the indexes are moved to the appropriate tablespace and name.

Oracleguru
www.oracleguru.net
oracleguru_at_mailcity.com

paulkaiser_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in article <6smr2i$73v$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> I have noticed several temporary segments appearing on a tablespace that
is
> not defined as a user's temporary tablespace. The segments' appearances
> coincide with an Oracle job queue entry running that is refreshing
snapshots,
> then building indexes and executing "analyze table compute" on the snap
shot
> tables.
>
> The temporary segments appear on the DAT1 tablespace. All users are
defined
> with DAT1 as the default tablespace and TMP1 as the temporary tablespace.
Does
> anyone know why these temporary segments are not getting created on the
TMP1