Re: Can do sqlplus sys/manager@oracle - CAN'T DO sqlplus sys/manager - why is that ?

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 4 Sep 1998 13:51:51 GMT

Are you on Unix? You might try the following:

export ORACLE_SID=test
sqlplus sys/manager

Note that "test" must be the actual SID name. Sometimes that is different than the SQL*Net service name. When you put "@test" on your SQL*Plus command line, "test" refers to a service name. This is a subtle distinction, but an important one. On one system I have a SID named "test", but the SQL*Net service for that SID is named "sycamore". Thus I can log in as follows by specifying the SERVICE NAME on the sql*plus command line:

        sqlplus system/manager_at_sycamore

or I can set ORACLE_SID to point to the SID name:

	export ORACLE_SID=test
	sqlplus system/manager

But I cannot specify the SID name on the sql*Plus command line. The following command WILL NOT work:

        sqlplus system/manager_at_test

If you need to know your service names, check in the following file:

        $ORACLE_HOME\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

regards,

Jonathan