Re: Oracle8 - Solaris2.6 - core dump

From: <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 04 Sep 1998 08:42:32 -0400

russ_at_u-net.net (R Fray) writes:

> Over the last couple of days, my version of Oracle 8.0.4.0.0 running
> on Solaris 2.6 has begun coredumping massive files.
>
> I'm using Oracle in conjunction with Oracle Web Application Server
> 3.0.
>
> No other services are running on the machine and there are plenty of
> system resources (0.5Gb RAM, 27Gb HD RAID). The core files are
> appearing in :
>
> /opt/oracle8/admin/SID/cdump/core_xxxx/core
>
> - where SID is the SID ;) and xxxx is a 4 digit number.
>
> Does anybody know where I can start looking to find the cause of this?
> I have set the coredumpsize to 0 to stop the DB falling over (it was
> dumping +500MB and filling up the partition!) but obviously I'd like
> to know what has gone wrong. A reinstall of Solaris and/or Oracle is
> not viable no matter how tempting.

Contact Oracle Support. They may know about the bug already. If not, please be ready to supply the trace file that contains the offending call stack. Look for *xxxx* in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log directory (or whatever user_dump_dest is set to). BTW, "xxxx" is the ID of the process that died.

There's not much else that you can do to fix the problem aside from helping Support to isolate the problem.

--

                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman