Re: Migration for MS-Access Bugs

From: Joe <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: 1998/09/03

In article <01bdd6e2$b75fbe20$020aa8c0_at_hammer>, lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net (Michael D. Long) writes:

> Oracle is conveniently not pointing out two important factors:

> 1) The problem lies with JET, not with the persistent storage.

Really? I thought it had to do with a bug in bound forms, not in Jet. If you can reproduce the bug using DAO/Jet alone and without using Access' bound forms in edit mode, please post the code.

> 2) The reason that most developers use JET for dealing with
> desktop database formats is that *they are cheap* and do
> not want to incur a per seat run-time fee.

They might also want to be able to do heterogeneous queries, easily retarget the same app at run-time to use different RDBMS', use local storage for temporary results rather than clutter up the server, copy static data to a local MDB and use Seek on it, import and export data from/to DBFs, etc. etc. etc. Duh.

> In order to bypass the problem when working with Oracle or
> SQL Server (et. al.), you will need to avoid using DAO/JET
> and recode to use ODBCDirect, RDO, ODBC API, ADO,
> Oracle Objects, etc. - each of which has bugs and/or
> limitations that you must learn to overcome.

Alternatively, since the problem only appears in forms allowing editing long lists of records, one could use a list/edit approach, in which one form presents a read-only view of a list of records, which spawns another form containing only one record for editing. This will get around the bug while giving the developer more screen real-estate in which to provide hints to the user as to what data are needed.

Since we're now dealing with issues independent of Oracle, Sybase, and MS SQL Server, followups are set to comp.databases.ms-access.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster_at_ricochet.net> Spam is irrelevant. Assimilate this:
<ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/index.txt> Microsoft's master patch list