Oracle Gateway suggestions?

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_i84.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 00:21:41 -0400

Does anyone know any good pointers, white papers, or even Oracle Reference Books on the Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB/2? I have none, and have noticed the following anomalies when executing queries from Oracle 7.3 (not sure of the gateway version)-
to DB/2 3.1(?)

Joins of tables, one on one side, one on the other, are extremely time consuming, because Oracle send the entire table from the DB/2 side over to the Oracle side. Oracle told me this was a known problem.

In general, I have trouble determining what work is being done where. The Platinum tools we have never explain a query that accesses the DB/2 tables,
instead, it summarizes it as "Remote Access", which doesn't help me to much.

I had 6 statements in the form insert into ...(oracle table)... select from (DB/2) table.
They ran quickly, but on high volumes, gave me an unable to extend temp segment.
We have a 200MB temp space, and aren't accessing that much data. I changes these
statements to explicit cursors, but although the sorting problem, or whatever problem it was was solved...it slowed things way down. If I just opened the cursors and closed them - it ran in 2 seconds flat. This contradicts my understanding of how cursors work. I thought when the cursor was open, the entire record set was retrieved. If this is true,
than the "fetch" through the cursor is what slows things down. I don't know what gives...
but if anyone has any suggestions.. please e-mail me at dcowles_at_i84.net.

Thanks in advance...

Dc. Received on Thu Sep 03 1998 - 23:21:41 CDT