Re: Uninstall of Oracle 7.3 on Solaris 2.6

From: Cheng-Jih Chen <cjc_at_interport.net>
Date: 3 Sep 1998 11:23:34 -0400

In article <35EE0B35.6EAC08EC_at_mn.uswest.net>, Perry J. Hoekstra <dutchman_at_mn.uswest.net> wrote:

>So far I have identified removal of the oratab file, removal of the environment
>variables such as ORACLE_HOME from the /etc/profile file, but what else exists?

If you're installing O8 (I don't recall the original message), you don't necessarily have to remove oratab; just change the ORACLE_HOME information, etc., to point at the new instance. Similar changes for /etc/profile.

>What resource file points to the now removed oratab file at boot time? I
>understand how to perform the brute force method of removal but what references
>will exist outside of /opt/oracle7 that need to be cleaned up?

IIRC, the only other things might be dbstart and dbshut scripts in /etc/init.d (as well as /etc/rc2.d, and so on), and anything starting TNS listener.

Remember how Oracle install works: you aren't installing with supervisor privileges, so things will wind up only in places that Oracle can write to. Look at root.sh for places where other files might be put (IIRC, that script is mainly setuid and setting up oratab). Received on Thu Sep 03 1998 - 10:23:34 CDT