Re: Sybase ASA vs MS Access vs MS SQL Server

From: John Barton <jsbarton_at_home.com>
Date: 1998/09/02

The database files are portable across platforms ie. windows, dos, nt, unix.

The real point is that the Adaptive Server Anywhere is much easier to administer and therefore you see it embedded in many other products. The latest version just started shipping on Win32 and now supports SMP so it can also scale up in workgroup environments. The Windows CE platform is currently in beta and they also have it working on the Palm Pilot in alpha.
Someone at the Powerbuilder user group that I attend said they are using ASA in a 80 user workgroup environment with no problems.

John