Re: [?] Schemas, Namespace, and Projects

From: Bradley G. Smith <bgsmith/nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 98 07:42:16 -0800

On Tue, 01 Sep 1998 15:43:34 GMT, Jerry Gitomer wrote:

:> I run everything in a single Oracle instance. For each project I create
:>a user who owns the project and has its own tablespace and datafiles (I am
:>running on AIX and use JFS rather than raw partitions). At the time tables
:>are created for the projects, under the projects userid the necessary
:>permissions are granted to the appropriate subset of our standard user
:>accounts.
:>
:> When the project is completed I am then able to export the user and then
:>drop the tablespace including contents and delete the datafile. This
:>simplifies management of projects -- a major consideration since at any one
:>time we have over 100 projects, almost all of which will be completed within
:>less than a year.

Thanks for the suggestion Jerry. I will run this past our DBA. It seems that this would involve the DBA to create a user account. I would prefer to have this all managed by the project "owners" or participants via JDBC. But that may not be possible. We run Oracle on AIX and also use DFS.

Brad Smith Received on Wed Sep 02 1998 - 10:42:16 CDT