Database links and long delay net

From: jan <jan_at_tat.dk>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 14:42:29 +0200

Hi.

I am developing an Oracle application involving Oracle 7.3.3 on several Windows NT servers that are connected using a 'long delay network' - it is a satelite network, and it is 'peculiar' in that it offers
short time intervals with rather high throughput (64 kbit) seperated by relatively long intervals with no communication. This is not due to the distance - it is something about servicing several other networks

in different 'time windows'.

I can create database links between the databases on different servers over this satelite net, and apparently they work - very slowly, but that doesn't matter to me. There is one situation that doesn't work, though:

I have a table with a 'key field' (a number(10)) and a 'blob' (long raw)

which I want to copy via this database link. It appears to work, but when
I inspect the data, they are wrong. It is mostly pictures (JPG), and I can
view them on the originating server but not on the receiving server. Sometimes the size of the blob is right, but the content is wrong - sometimes
the size is wrong too. If I transfer the pictures with FTP over this network
it gets through OK, and if I copy the table locally, it works fine.

The strange thing is that Oracle believes things are OK - from time to time
there is an exception concerning SQL-Net, but usually there's no exception,
only wrong data.

I have spoken to Oracle, but they are as confused as I. I can't guess whether
it is SQL-Net or Winsock that is to blame.

Any opinions, anyone? Or even just a word of comfort ;-)

/jan Received on Wed Sep 02 1998 - 07:42:29 CDT