Re: 7.3.4 External Procedure Call

From: Roger Snowden <rsnowdenNOSPAM_at_NOSPAM.us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:11:04 GMT

I don't know what the "pipes" discussion is getting at, but no, external calls are not supported prior to Oracle8. You can, however, use the dbms_file functionality. Perhaps you can create a named pipe at the os level and write to it, and another from which to read.

Oracle pipes are altogether different. They are meant for inter-session communications. Although O8 has a new Advanced Queuing feature, this is a persistent messaging facility and does not replace Oracle pipes. Don't look for Oracle pipes to go away any time soon. And no, Oracle pipes are not particularly resource intensive. They are fast and efficient, faster than RPC in fact.

Roger Snowden
rsnowden_at_us.oracle.com