Re: Oracle Raw Partitions

From: Alexey M. Reshetov <real_at_kpbank.ru>
Date: 31 Aug 1998 02:37:59 GMT

MotoX (rat_at_tat.a-tat.com) wrote:

: Alexey M. Reshetov wrote in message <6s254k$t1s$1_at_home.kpbank.ru>...
: >A. Gordon (aog_at_capgroup.com) wrote:
: >: Has anyone had experience with Oracle raw partitions? If so, I'd
: >: appreciate any reactions to them. In particular, I'd like to know:
: >
: >: 1. Do they provide any performance gain over file systems?
: >
: >I suppose it depends from type of file system. In my experiments
: >I've got speed on file system greater than on raw partitions.

: Try something VERY disk intensive with multiple concurrent users, and try
: reallocating the memory you've gained with raw disks to sort areas, sort
: buffers, db block buffers, etc., and then come back and tell us how 'slow'
: raw partitions are...

Do you KNOW how to increase performance for raw partitions and for file systems both? There are should be different parameters. If you will READ Oracle documents, you will KNOW that Oracle don't recommended to install SYSTEM tablespace on raw partitions. And if you had a problems with your file system speeds, please read your operating system' administrator's guide and performance tuning. Usually all MODERN unix file system are very fast after tuning them.

: >
: >: 2. Are they really harder to manage?
: >
: >Yes. Very hardly to make backup and then restore raw partition. And
: >sometimes hardly to determine disk I/O parameters.

: No they are not, if you KNOW what you are doing. You can dd to disk, or
: direct to tape. And with raw partitions you don't waste time constantly
: creating filesystems that Oracle neither wants or needs. And you can migrate
: raw paritions between disks easily without having to change anything at the
: Oracle level (i.e., you don't have to rename datafiles, etc. You could argue
: that the use of 'links' would achieve the same effect with filesystems,
: though.)

I'm very like dd, but when you will start dd and compress at the same time, please look at your CPU loading. My users will hang me for such system activity, how about you?

: Most decent backup products WILL handle raw partitions. Just make sure
: before you buy.

: Like I said, if you are good with UNIX, then there is no reason not to use
: raw partitions. In conversations I've had with EMC, Oracle, Sybase and IBM,
: all came out in favour of raw partitions for 'production' databases. Some
: installations REQUIRE them - Sybase and Oracle Parallel Server.

There isn't conversation about 'toy' databases here and ANYBODY knows that Oracle Parallel Server requires raw partitions.

: Just my take.

: MotoX.

Regards!

Alexey Reshetov
real_at_kpbank.ru Received on Sun Aug 30 1998 - 21:37:59 CDT