Re: Password for Listener and Internal??

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 07:14:07 +0200

Experiences on AIX 4.2.1 and Oracle 7.3.2/7.3.4 (we skipped 3 because the sw got lost in our company)

1 As long as your are either logged in as the oracle owner (preferably oracle) or in the dba group (preferably dba), it won't ask for a password when you connect as internal. Note: if you want sysdba accounts (which act the same way as internal, and which you should do because a) now you be able to use all options of OEM and start/shut from a pc/OEM console and b) rumors are the internal mechanism will be phased out) you must make sure the remote_password_file parameter is set to exclusive. Otherwise you won't be able to connect <username/password> AS SYSDBA 2 Don' t remember where I found this (maybe pulled the complete doc from support.oracle.com), here is how sqlnet works (and it stinks) a) if you have an unencrypted password in listener.ora you can only issue commands like
set password <password>, it MUST be on the same line b) if you have an encrypted password you should issue a set password <RETURN> you will be prompted for a password by the listener. The listener will encrypt the password and compare to the password in listener.ora. If the password is on the same line the listener WON'T encrypt the password. Now here is the 'feature': if you have a shell script like lnsrctl << EOD
set password
oracle
stop listener
EOD
it WON'T work, because the dratted set password command expect this from a proper tty only.
Maybe you can try to reproduce this behavior and someone should verify with support if they intend to change it.
My solution now is to have an unencrypted password and secure the scripts, however I don' really like it.

Hth
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA