Re: ODBC in unix is easy

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: 1998/08/28

lentini_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>In article <6s57ra$dr$2_at_imsp009a.netvigator.com>,
> paulkcng_at_news.netvigator.com (Ng K C Paul) wrote:
>> Try OLE-DB, Microsoft next generation of Universal Data Access Method
>>
>> Linkname: ISG - Products - ISG Navigator
>>
>> Edward (liufeng_at_tp.ac.sg) wrote:
>> : Does anybody know whether there are any ODBC drivers or interface in
>> : UNIX environment? Someone told me that I can not use ODBC interface to
>> : access those famous databases, such as Oracle, Sybase and Informix etc.,
>> : but can only use native SQL in an UNIX environment. Is that true? Does
>> : that mean Windows NT is better than UNIX at this issue?
>> :
>> : Any comment on this would be appreciated.
>> : Please reply to "liufeng_at_tp.ac.sg"
>> : Edward,
>> :
>>
>In our company, we installed many computers wich communicates with differents
>Oracle databases with sqlnet V2.
>Sqlnet is an odbc software.
>If you some questions, I can help you.
>bye

Actually SqlNet is not ODBC.... SqlNet is the Network transport while ODBC is a protocol that uses the SqlNet transport layer to communicate.... ( I realize that this is an oversimplification, but it is the essence of the matter )

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Fri Aug 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT