How to implement snapshots with user security resctrictions?

From: Blyau Gino <gino.blyau_at_ping.be>
Date: 28 Aug 1998 15:48:14 GMT

How to implement snapshots with user security resctrictions?

Given the following
A master site with n tables(Belgium)
A slave site who can only see a horizontal slice of a table(italy)

One would say, just use a where clause when you create the snapshot at the slave site. However the dba from brussels doesn't trust the dba from italy.

Since the dba at brussels has to give a grant for select on the tables, he could check periodically the ddl definition of the snapshot in user_snapshot view.

This is a kind of workaround , and i was wondering if anyone has done something similar
with other approaches.

The approach we we're thinking is to provide an extract pl/sql package, we could in the package control the sql fired at the underlying tables, but we would have to give always a full extract of this horizontal slice which would be to time consuming on big tables.

We could add a date/time stamp on every table ,so that we can extract only the newly created rows, but what about the deleted rows?

Any suggestions.
Please email to gino.blyau_at_dg19.cec.be Received on Fri Aug 28 1998 - 10:48:14 CDT