Java cartridge to access Oracle on Windows NT: Anyone tried?

From: Qingshan Luo <qluo_at_inpart.com>
Date: 1998/08/26

Has anyone tried successfully to use the Java cartridge on Oracle web application server 3.0 to access Oracle8 database on Windows NT? I have spend one week trying to make it work but failed.

I followed the online documentation (comes with Oracle) about using Java cartridges and JDBC. I have tried successfully runing simple Java cartridges, as well as stand-alone Java applications that access Oracle database with Oracle's JDBC driver. But it fails when I combined the above two (accesing Oracle database in a Java cartridge). The java cartridge just dies in the the second line:

OracleDriver od = new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver(); DriverManager.registerDriver(od); // dies on java cartridge, but works OK in

                                                       // stand-alone
java application.

Another approach, suggested by Oracle, to access Oracle database in a Java cartridge, is to use the Java-PL/SQL toolkit (pl2java). But pl2java cannot handle procedure that has REF CURSOR type parameters (REF CURSOR seems be the only way to return multiple rows from PL/SQL to Java).

My Oracle8 is version 8.0.4. My web application server is standard edition version 3.0.1.0.1.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Qingshan Luo                     Phone: 408-873-3537
12900A Saratoga Avenue           FAX:   408-873-3550
Saratoga, CA 95070               Email: qluo_at_inpart.com