Re: Inserting and retrieving

From: Keith Boulton <boulke_at_globalnet.co.nospamuk>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:04:41 GMT

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:22:38 -0500, Jack <jack_silvey_at_dell.com> wrote:

>All,
>
>I need to store and extract images in an Oracle 7.3 database. Any
>suggestions on the best way to do this?

I've only played around with this using the Oracle 8 OCI from Delphi with long varraw bind variables which I believe you can also use from a Pro* program. I don't know what is possible via ODBC.

Store the images in a long raw column (not long column as this may undergo characterset translation in sqlnet). Consider discrete transactions to avoid the need to write the image data to a rollback segment.
Commit after each image.
Put images in a separate table containing only id and image data to avoid performance problems with searches for non-image data. Consider setting up a distinct image server instance with a very large block size etc optimised for the large rows involved. Received on Wed Aug 26 1998 - 12:04:41 CDT