Re: Oracle 7.x with Nordic Languages (NLS_LANG)

From: <bracher_at_oxy.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 16:38:27 GMT

beyond just installing with an appropriate character set to encompass to the local languages you're interested in (WE8ISO8859P1 should work for European stuff), you _must_ set NLS_LANG appropriately on the client side for the language the session is going to be using.

I install all my databases using WE8ISO8859P1, even if they're just going to be used in the U.S. makes life easier if things shift... if the client/data is for the U.S.,

  NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 which is _not_ going to allow entry of non-U.S. characters, Swedish for instance. for a Swedish client/data,

  NLS_LANG=SWEDISH_SWEDEN.WE8ISO8859P1 the character set is still the same (it's the character set of the server, but the client can now correctly insert/select Swedish characters. but probably wouldn't do German entirely well (I'm assuming there must be _some_ differences, probably wouldn't get an S-set right).

for that US7ASCII instance, you're pretty much out of luck for anything but U.S. English.

hope that helps.