Query column datatypes and NULL's ?

From: Igor V. Podolsky <igoryok_at_soft-review.kiev.ua>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 98 15:57:17 +0300

Hi all !

I have the following problem: i have the view, that returns several comumns with different datatypes. And I have the client program (on Borland Delphi4) that perfoms SELECT from view. So, my program runs correctly only while view column datatypes is not changed. At some moment I need to change my view: i wish that one from it column contain NULL always - for security reasons. But my program recognize NULL value datatype by another way (as unknown datatype) and don't works. So, is there a way to return 'typed' NULL constant from my view query ? Or is there some way to control query columns datatypes ?

P.S. I've trying some ways to do this. For example, expression <some_var>+NULL have same with <some_var> datatype and always evaluates to NULL. But it applicable only for NUMBER datatypes. Expression substr(<some_var>, NULL) works same for string datatypes etc. But i don't like this solution. Is there some more clear way ?

P.P.S. Duplicate answer ( if any (: ) to my e-mail please...

--
Is There A God Or Any Kind Of Justice Under The Sky... (Queen'91)

Igor V. Podolsky (igoryok_at_soft-review.kiev.ua) Received on Wed Aug 26 1998 - 07:57:17 CDT