terminating a recursive PL/SQL loop

From: Arno Tigges <arno.tigges_at_bertelsmann.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:44:40 +0200

What can be done to terminate an accidentally coded PL/SQL endless recursive loop. Just killing the session does not work. The session becomes the status "KILLED" but the procedure is still running and after a while the server is running out of memory! Last week we have to _REBOOT_ a production server to get rid of such an endless recursion, because of the memory overload we were not able to shut down the instance normally.

Killing a session with a procedure in a "normal" endless loop works fine, but unfortunately not for a much more problematic endless recursion.

Does anybody know a solution for that problem? Any advice is welcome! The Oracle Version is 7.3.2.3.5 and it runs on a NT 3.51 server.

Arno Tigges Received on Wed Aug 26 1998 - 04:44:40 CDT