Re: SQL Exception with Oracle Thin JDBC drivers

From: R. Maitland Baxter <roba_at_ita.cph.dk>
Date: 1998/08/25

hi,
  i think i can help with at least one of your errors. About a week ago I was having a similar problem getting "No more data to read from socket", very frustrating. I got in contact with someone at Oracle support (not the easiest thing in the world to do). What I had discovered was that the Oracle "keep alive" connection check signal kills the JDBC connection every time. There should be a file called sqlnet.ora somewhere on the Oracle server. It has a line SQLNET_EXPIRE_TIME = X where X is a value in minutes. I'd be willing to bet that you recieve that SQL exception exactly every X minutes. There are 3 possible solutions, I'll list them in order of least to most desirable (in my opinion).'

  1. Remove, the SQLNET_EXPIRE_TIME = X from your .ora file. If this is acceptable to your DBA, it will correct the problem.
  2. Where you catch the SQLException, check if the message is "no more data", if so just reconnect and try the query again. Ugly but it works.
  3. This is a known bug for Oracle. It is fixed in the 8.0.4.0.6 version of the JDBC thin driver. Unfortunately the latest available on their website is 8.0.4.0.5. I have used the new version and it works great (at least on NT). If you promise not to ask me where I got it, I can send you the zip file for the latest driver. I was told it is a production version but for some reason is not yet publically available. Regardless, I would bet that you will be able to get it form Oracle in the next couple of weeks.

hope this helps!

"That was good . . . but not great." - Homer J. Simpson Received on Tue Aug 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT