global variables in package

From: Rolf Hauck <Rolf.Hauck_at_datenrevision.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:42:38 +0200

hi all,
we have created a package with procedures, which are called from an external program. Inside the procedures a logfile of performed actions is written with the utl_file package. The filename for the logfile was hard coded.
Now the customer has installed several instances of the same application on the same machine (different databases). We don't want the messages to be merged into one logfile, but want to make the filename configurable from a db entry. But we want to avoid re-reading this config entry each time we want to write something into the logfile. What is the largest scope a global variable in a package can have? Of course we can clone our sources for the package and hard code the path for every copy... but that doesn't sound too nice, does it? Any idea?

Thanks a lot
Rolf Received on Tue Aug 25 1998 - 04:42:38 CDT