Re: Should I use Raw devices?

From: Ng K C Paul <paulkcng_at_news.netvigator.com>
Date: 25 Aug 1998 01:26:11 GMT

I wonder if raw device will improve the performance.

Greg C. (gdclark_at_southwind.net) wrote:
: Hi everyone. I am using Oracle8 and need your help. I am supporting a OLTP
: DB being updated by a web application. At this point we do not know for
: sure the volume of users who will be active at any given moment.
:
: I understand that using raw devices will improve the performance of my
: database, but what are the draw backs. How much additional administration
: is required from both the UNIX & oracle perspective? Will I limit myself
: in any way by using raw devices. I already see there is a bug with raw
: devices & rman.
:
: Are raw devices really worth the effort?
:
: Thank you for your help.