Preventative Maintenence for Oracle Servers

From: <nordby_at_channelpoint.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 22:14:24 GMT

I am implementing the Preventative Maintenence procedures for an Oracle 7.3.4 database on NT. We are currently running scripts by hand that check on the health of certain aspects of the system. I am looking for input on what should be looked at, what trends should be monitored, and what people are doing to integrate events into alerts (email, pager, etc.).

Currently, our manual script is tracking the following:

SGA

Tablespace Analysis (by datafile)

Table and Index Fragmentation (# extents).

Rollback Segments

We plan on tracking trends, and automating the PM process to provide better reporting and predicting. We also want to provide hooks into alert systems that send email/page/etc when thresholds are achieved.

Thanks for any input on this subect!

Jon.