Re: Sessions Won't Die When Killed

From: C. Mason <cmason_at_aai.arco.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:11:50 GMT

According to to administrator's guide for ORACLE 7.3, when you kill a session it is terminated, rolled back if active, and the resources freed up. The status in V$SESSION is "KILLED", but the row for the terminated session is not removed from V$SESSION until the user atttemps to use the session again. In our environment, we occasionally have users connecting from PC's that reboot their PC or abnormally terminate their ORACLE connection by some other means. Those sessions generally remain in V$SESSION until the instance is shutdown and restarted. To increase the maxinum number of processes, simply increase the "processes" parameter in the initSID.ora file.