Re: Installing Oracle8 for a beginner

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 14:24:27 GMT

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:32:27 -0700, John <narbaitz_at_solution-soft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm completely new to Oracle and DBMS in general. I have acquired an
>eval copy
>of Oracle8 from the Oracle store. It came with no installation or user
>manual. I need
>to do an installation on a SPARC 5 running Solaris 2.5.1. Oracle has not
>been at all
>responsive to my requests for documentation.

From the Trial Software Download Page:

"Oracle offers the following trial products for a 30-day evaluation period under the terms of the No Charge 30 Day Trial License. You may purchase these and other products at any time from the Oracle Store. Please visit Free Software for downloadable products free of charge, including Oracle ODBC Drivers.
 Note: Trial products marked with the CD-ROM symbol may be ordered on CD-ROM for $4.95.

OracleINSTALL provides installation assistance and technical information for the products listed below. Whether you have purchased a product without a support contract or whether you are trying one of our Oracle products, OracleINSTALL support will help you successfully install your products!

If you would like information on purchasing support, please contact your local Support Sales Office."

You can browse Installation Assistance for most Oracle products at http://www.oracle.com/support/html/. Have you tried this?

>I would be grateful for any help in installing Oracle from the cdrom.
>Plus, for pointers
>to any good resources for getting started using Oracle8. Thanks,
>
>John Narbaitz
>narbaitz_at_solution-soft.com

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sun Aug 23 1998 - 09:24:27 CDT