Re: can not use net80 assistant

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 14:07:24 GMT

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 01:26:54 +0800, "learner" <wayway_at_wowmail.com> wrote:

>hello everyboday.
>i am using oracle8.0 under winnt4.0.
>the problem is the net80 easy config and net8.0 assistant can not use.
>every time i start it , the java.exe is started, but the net80 easy config
>or net80 assistant do not give respone but the java.exe use all CPU time.

I've seen *and* fixed this problem a couple times.

Firstly, both the Net8 Easy Config and Net8 Assistant are Java applications. A requirement of *Java* (and not Oracle) is that, at a minimum, you must have support for 256 colors. If you're only running at 16 colors, you'll get some type of GPF....which is not your problem.

What you should do is rename *every* occurrence of TNSNAMES.ORA on your local machine...to TNSNAMES.BAK or something like that. Also, do the same for your SQLNET.ORA file. Then, start up either of these programs and they should auto-magically work.

This is some flaw in the Oracle code, not correctly processing manually-edited .ORA files....which IMHO should work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sun Aug 23 1998 - 09:07:24 CDT