Re: alter index rebuild on Oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:59:11 +0200

Question 1
Yes, this is possible. Haven't worked with Oracle 8 yet, don't think this will change.
Question 2
between 1.5 and 2 times the total size of all the columns contained in the index in the temporary tablespace of the user running the command. Remark: You can use rebuild to relocate the index using the tablespace clause.
If the index is not in the default tablespace and you don't specify a tablespace in the rebuild statement it will end up in the default tablespace.
Index creation is protected through redo log files. You don't really need that. Recovery will take probably the same time as repeating the operation. You may want to add the unrecoverable clause to the alter index rebuild statement.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker.