Re: SQL*Net tuning - what's reasonable for response times

From: John Cai <LNHK1.JCAI01_at_EDS.COM>
Date: 22 Aug 1998 12:16:57 GMT

> Some performance measurements show that 4 seconds is being
> consumed by establishing the connection (login). On average the database
> has 50 to 70 active connections at any given time with a highwater mark
> of 119 connections.

For an NT, this number is not small.
> Question: does 4 seconds to login seem reasonable? I've never before
> given much though to tuning connect times - my focus has always been on
> tuning queries, memory usage, etc.. Frankly, 4 seconds strikes me as not
> bad.

4 sec. is close to reasonable. Are you sure it is exclusive for a single CONNECT statement
(or alike), without additional checking done by the application?
> I have been unable to track down any information regarding tuning
> SQL*Net and would appreciate any recommentations on how I can reduce
> this 4 seconds unless the consensus is that 4 seconds is exceptionally
> good performance.

Check the memory size made avaiable to Oracle. When a user signs on, system need to allocate
private global area for the user. The system data dictionary should be kept in memory if possible. Received on Sat Aug 22 1998 - 07:16:57 CDT