Re: Trigger execution order

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 22 Aug 1998 02:00:31 GMT

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:58:20 -0400, Sameer Utrankar <sameeru_at_exchnage.ml.com> wrote:

>If I have 2 triggers on a table
>(1) before insert row
>(2) before insert or update row
>how would I know which one is going to get executed first ?

You don't. Order is not guaranteed..

>If order is not guaranteed then that would mean I could never separate
>out triggers the way I have specified above

Well, yes you could. If the triggers were truly 100% independant of each other, then the firing order would not matter. If order matters, then you are correct, you must use just one trigger.

Perhaps you could use one for update and another for insert.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Fri Aug 21 1998 - 21:00:31 CDT