CASE: Oracle 7 vs. 8?

From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau_at_unix.cc.emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:22:52 -0400

Hello,

My department is using an Oracle 7.3 database server with a database that will be going live after the first of the year. A question has arisen on doing case insensitive searching of records for last names, etc. We can use the UPPER() function to allow that type of searching but that introduces other problems.

I tried searching the Oracle website for an answer to how this is treated in Oracle 8 but had no success. Is this a feature(bug) in Oracle 8 or does it allow case insensitive searching without the problems of UPPER()?

Many thanks,

Patrick

Patrick Durusau
Information Technology
Scholars Press
pdurusau_at_emory.edu Received on Fri Aug 21 1998 - 16:22:52 CDT